Swayzak is the protagonist and player character of Rez. He is a virus invading Eden's mainframe in order to prevent her from shutting down. He's been voiced by Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords in English (mostly in the PlayStation 4 commercials), but in Japan he is voiced by Kenji Utsumi.
Child of EdenEdit
Swayzak infects Eden and makes her doubt her existence and try to shut herself down, in an attempt to prove that he's a powerful virus. He eventually finds himself regretting this and invading her mainframe to restart her and reveal the true being at her core. Upon rebooting, Eden thanks Swayzak.
Swayzak is a red demonic humanoid with glowing yellow eyes and a glowing vented mouth. His helmet has two arches on it which makes it resemble an "M". He has a slender body with a thin waist and thin legs. His feet are square. While he is not actually seen at any point during Rez, he possesses an avatar that he controls within Project-K. His avatar has six forms, alongside a non-canonical seventh: a Morolian, as a homage to Space Channel 5, a game which was made by the same creator.
|Zero Form||First Form||Second Form||Third Form||Fourth Form||Final Form||Real Form|
- Swayzak's real form was first seen during the Toonami event Trapped in Hyperspace. Jason DeMarco came up with the design of the character, and he was inspired by Rez. Later on, Swayzak would cameo in Toonami's review of Rez, and by this time Tetsuya Mizuguchi made the character official.
- Swayzak has a New Zealand accent and a slight lisp.
- In the Pipe Trouble Christmas special (which was endorsed by the creators of all the games featured in it), Swayzak has a bad tendency to spit if he talks too much, thanks to his lisp.
- He was originally known as "Hacker" until 2004. However, the fact that Hacker and Swayzak are one and the same was not widely known until recently, as Swayzak is more commonly thought of as a Toonami character.
- Eden has a crush on Swayzak.